This awesome and revolutionary tool which goes by the Internet is so powerful that in certain ways it is becoming a threat to the freedom of its users, who, in exchange for services, indifferently hand over their data, therefore giving up personal independence and liberty.
Essentially, I interpret internet freedom as the joint concern for two overlapping macro-themes:
- privacy and security of digital tools
- decentralization and de-monopolization regarding both hardware and software development
Digital awareness is time consuming.
The only excuse I accept from people refusing to inform themselves about how we are being sucked into a worryingly inescapable and uncontrollable ecosystem is that they don’t have time.
I get it. I “wasted” hours, days, reading articles and watching videos concerning the internet, its functioning and its governance. I wish this matter could be simpler and more clear, but understanding internet monopoly both requires a fair amount of technical knowledge and it is a subtle matter.
Choose the alternative #
Just complaining, waiting for things to get better, believing that a conscious use is enough to keep clear from big tech negative impact is simply bullshit.
To change something and to make things better we need to switch to healthier, more ethical, often even cooler alternatives.
Random links about privacy online
- The Hitchhiker’s guide to Internet Anonymity
- Privacy is power, a conversation with Clarissa Véliz
- My Year Without Google
- Free Software, Richard Stallman
- Richard Stallman’s website
- Privacy Guides
- Why Privacy Matters - TED Talk
- Andy Yen (ProtonMail CEO) TED Talk
- Nothing to hide argument
- Blog article: how to live without tech giants
- Human by Design
- Ethical Design
- Tech diet (an AWESOME website)
- great video privacy
- Why AMP is bad
- Presa Diretta “riprendiamoci i nostri dati”
- Luke Smith’s stuff
- Open Media Codecs
- Google Watches You
- Movim, social network and XMPP messaging app
- Restore privacy - Google Alternatives
- Facebook Doesn’t tell users everything it really knows about them
- deGoogle by a single person
- Discussione di Filosofia di gruppo su Dieci ragioni per eliminare il proprio account sui social media. Il mio intervento a al minuto
- Do not track Documentary (2015)
- The Social Dilemma creators interview
- Switching Software
- Take Control of your tech life in seven moves
- WhatsApp vs Telegram vs Signal
- Why ditching WhatsApp - Vice
- EFF’s Surveillance Self Defense
- Open Wireless Movement